Dixie ABATE Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 01:45:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Tri-county and Nocc Falls chapters have been busy.  Someone needs to step up and get a Birmingham chapter going.  I think Mobile/Baldwin County is heating up again too.  Go, Dixie ABATE!!
1340 Posts in 447 Topics by 33 Members
Latest Member: mcooper
* Home Help Home Home Search Login Register
+  Dixie ABATE Forum
|-+  Open House
| |-+  Issues for ABATE discussion and possible action
| | |-+  Actual Operators test to get Motorcycle License
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Actual Operators test to get Motorcycle License  (Read 3385 times)
Paladin
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »

I would love to see a actual skills test , to obtain a license in Alabama . There are other States that do it . I have saw to many people buy a Motorcycle and jump on and away they go... straight to the hospital . I have lost count of the people I have heard and saw when they buy a Bike jump on and ride off , with no training or experience .
To think that just because you can drive a car and have ridden a bicycle, means you can ride a motorcycle is absurd , this is the same as saying.. Well I have pulled a boat so I can drive a Semi-Truck .

I could give you a very long list of stories , of the incidents I have saw where a person buys a bike and is off to learn the lessons the hard way . I will tell you of only three

I was at the local motorcycle shop , there was a man who bought a brand new bike , He took off and ran over one tree and crashed into another , He never made it out of the parking lot .

There was a man who bought a new bike , He lived only 15 miles from the shop , He called a couple of hours later wanting to know if they shop sold mirrors , grips and pegs , He had dropped his bike 7 times on the way home .

There was a Soldier , he had been home from Iraq for about a week , bought a new Harley , less than a week later he was merging on to the inter-state He was ran over by a Tractor trailer .....This one I saw as it happened .

People think just because they have ridden a dirt bike they can ride a street bike... Not so , the way they two bikes handle is drastically different . Braking , steering all different .

70% of all wrecks are the fault of a automobile , that leaves 30% that are our fault .
When we go and ask for things like stiffer punishment for people who cause a accident involving Motorcycles , we need to show we are doing something to correct the 30%   
2WheelerFred

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »

I know that the AMSP has been encouraging this and the DPS feedback is they do not have trained examiners to which is countered by AMSP we have 80 RiderCoaches that could be used just for that. There is a short training course, but for the most part RC's do this everytime they do a BRC and most all who were present at the update Kris attended said they would be willing to do this.

Member of
GWRRA Chapter A
AMA
MSF RiderCoach for Alabama Motorcycle Safety Program
Member Dixie ABATE
kriscook
Forum Nazi
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:32:55 PM »

I definitely think it's time to pursue this.  Let's put it on the agenda and start hammering out the details.  Freddie, do you have the details of the laws in the other 49 states, including what test they use, who administers it, and how much it costs the rider? 

This message board is shamelessly ripped off from BamaRides.com
2WheelerFred

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 08:26:01 AM »

Go to this page and about midway down under Cycle Safety Information you will find most of the information you desire

http://msf-usa.org/

Look under Library/Safety Tips look about midway

Here's the direct link

http://msf-usa.org/Downloads/State_Motorcycle_Operator_Licensing_CSI_2010.pdf
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:32:23 AM by 2WheelerFred » Logged

Member of
GWRRA Chapter A
AMA
Member Dixie ABATE
shane

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:25:41 PM »

If we are talking about a riding test at the DMV to get a motorcycle license. Then this will be hard to pull-off, this came up at our ABATE meeting last summer and things got very heated over it. If it was to get a go-a-head vote from Dixie ABATE it will never pass in Montgomery because it will take money from the State to do it. The State has no money and higher taxes on bikes to pay for it will be hard to do, even if it is just $1.00.
 We can't fix stupid. I know people that have been riding bikes for years and they still are piss poor at it.
 If we are talking about people having to take a rider training class and show a card or paper work to show that you have passed the class. Then this would be easyer to get a go-a-head vote from ABATE and it would not cost the State to do it because you would take classes on your time. Then just show paper work that you passed. There are riding classes already out there for people to take, if we can get everyone to take them.
  You still can't fix stupid.
 image029
2WheelerFred

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 05:46:33 PM »

If it was easy, anyone could do it! The fact remains, do we support this as a group or not? As a member of this group I do support having folks take a skills test, if you get a drivers license you have to take a drving test, just common sense.

Title 32.6.2 b says:
(b) The Director of Public Safety shall promulgate reasonable rules and regulations not in conflict with the laws of this state as to the kind of examination or test to be given and the method and manner of giving the examination, ascertaining and reporting the results of the examination, and to who qualifies to give the examination. In lieu of examination by the Department of Public Safety for the written, oral, vision, and driving portion of the examination, an applicant currently enrolled or beginning enrollment in a high school drivers' education class may submit proof that the applicant has passed the written, oral, vision, and driving portion of the examination which has been given by a certified driver education instructor approved by the State Department of Education and trained as a third party testing agent for the Department of Public Safety. Reports of all examinations shall be on forms provided by the Director of Public Safety and shall indicate if the applicant passed the examination.

In my opinion I think the Director of Public Safety  could add a skills test, since currently there is is no law prohibiting a skills test hence it would not be in conflict, the issue around cost could be as simple as a surcharge, but motorcyclist are already paying more for our tags anyway so why not get the state to give  us what we're paying for already.

Member of
GWRRA Chapter A
AMA
Member Dixie ABATE
shane

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 06:13:55 AM »

I didn't mean to get you upset Fred, all I was saying is it will not pass rite now. The State has no money and it will take money to put on a driving test at the DMV because of training testers and setting up a track to drive on. I am trying to come up with something that will pass and know matter what we would come up with. It will all be changed around in Montgomery anyway. Just because you want something the way you want it, doesn't mean that is going to be the end product.
2WheelerFred

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:03:43 PM »

Shane first of all I am not upset, I am passionate about riding and I am passionate about saving lives, like most people I have an  opinion about how to do both, dosen't mean I am right, just that I believe in what we're trying to do. I understand that passing legislation in the current economic climate is difficult but now is the time to line up those who will support us in the future. I spent the past 10 plus years looking for a site locally to have a state run safety course, and has been turned down more times then a homely girl at the prom, and all it did is make me more determined. Since I've never met anyone except Kris, the only way I have to express myself is via this forum. Having talked with my local state rep and  read the papers, I am keenly aware of the current state of our states economy,  I am aware too that if we wait until the politicians feel good it will never happen legislation dosen't happen by osmosis. Like I said elsewhere in the forum the state does not need to incur the cost of training examiners, we are already trained, all that is required is a one day course to be trained to give the skills test and I say we because there are about 50 other Rider Coaches ready to receive the training at no cost to the state. As to examining cost most licensing in bigger cities is done by 3rd party examiners or persons gain their license by passing drivers ed in high school or college course. The test course can be set up at most DPS licensing examining centers using the ALT-MOST click this link for a look: http://motorcycleassistant.com/alt-most-motorcycle-dmv-road-test/  So from a Dixie ABATE perspective it boils down to deciding as an organization are we going to pursue this issue. Th proposal is should Dixie ABATE encourage or support a skills test as part of licensing. I think we should IMHO.  image025
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:10:20 PM by 2WheelerFred » Logged

Member of
GWRRA Chapter A
AMA
Member Dixie ABATE
shane

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »

Well Fred I will bring up your side of this at our May meeting and in June when we come to your end of the State will can talk in person about it.
kriscook
Forum Nazi
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 08:32:13 PM »

Fred brought up some excellent points there.  I think it deserves a thorough discussion.  I'll bring it up on the BamaRides Forum too and see what that crowd thinks of it.

If you think about it, it seems kind of backward to require a test to drive a car, which isn't all that dangerous compared to riding a motorcycle, but NOT requiring a test to ride a motorcycle on the street. 

But then, Alabama is famous for its backwardness. 

We'll put this topic on the front burner. 

2WheelerFred

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 02:09:40 PM »

That's the reason the Alt_MOST test would be so beneficial, iit takes relatively little area 30 X 75 ft doesn't require a following car and has examiners ready to go in a short period of time. The con side is that it would require the state to include motorcyce examiners as 3rd party testers and increase cost, something they already do for cars. The eam part coud be set on a scheduled basis though so they could get the most bang for the buck.

Member of
GWRRA Chapter A
AMA
Member Dixie ABATE
kriscook
Forum Nazi
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »

The con side is that it would require the state to include motorcyce examiners as 3rd party testers and increase cost, something they already do for cars. The eam part coud be set on a scheduled basis though so they could get the most bang for the buck.

Freddie, could you explain what this means?  Why would the motorcycle examiners be third party testers?  Couldn't they be whatever the car examiners are? 
What do you mean, the "eam part?"  I must be tired, because I sort of missed the message here.  Sorry! 

2WheelerFred

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »

By 3rd party I mean they would be contracted by the state. My understanding is that in order to free up Troopers to actually enforce the law, the state began contracting Driver's license examiners, plus there is a law on the books that says if a student presents a class completion card from high school or collede that is approved , they automatically get their license without taking the test, just pay your 25.00 and take your picture. Tht's what makes all of this so whacky, the state has laws in place to aid cagers, but the two wheel population is left out in the cold.

Member of
GWRRA Chapter A
AMA
Member Dixie ABATE
Paladin
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 07:31:51 PM »

I am not sure I like the third party testing , There are some states that do that for the CDL and the school passes them just to get paid regardless of the drivers skill .

Shane I was there and I know the heat that my suggestion brought , I am not saying that people who already have a license have to take the test . I am talking about people who after a set date want a license have to test for it .
2WheelerFred

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »

Well like Shane alluded to earlier there's a lot has to go into crafting the law and getting it passed. What we as an organization have to decide is if it is worth pursuing? I've weighed in on my feelings, no way should you be allowed to go hop on a bike and go riding off into traffic. When you wreck you cause my insurance rates to go up, when you die, you cause your family and friends grief and pain and I lose a new brother or sister. Proving you can at least turn a corner is the least you could do!  image025

Member of
GWRRA Chapter A
AMA
Member Dixie ABATE
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: